Re: Europa-List: Re: Ditching checklist

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Ditching checklist
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 16:26:36

On 05/04/2010 03:13 PM, rampil wrote:

> For the case of the trigear, one can only imagine a worse case.
> It seems unlikely that a trigear can be prevented from digging
> in at the nose and possibly cracking the canopy.

Why does it seem that? Statistics show that tri gear aircraft have no
higher tendency to nose over than rectractables. Unless the Europa has a
feature not found on other tri gear airplane, I don't think it is worse
than comparable aircraft.

Contrary, I think the monowheel is worse in this aspect. It has a
tendency on land already to nose over if you brake firmly, and I don't
see why this would be different on water.

With the tri gear, before the nose is able to touch the water, the gear
has dissipated already quite some of the energy (either due to drag in
the water, or due to destruction of the gear).

Frans