Re: Europa-List: Re: Ditching checklist

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Ditching checklist
From: Hans J. Danielsen <hansjd@online.no>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 21:16:15

----- Original Message -----
From: "rampil" <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 5:12 PM
Subject: Europa-List: Re: Ditching checklist

> Frans,
>
> The main gear touching the water will cause pitching moment nose
> down because the wheels, with no rolling will be retarded by water
> like hitting a brick wall.

That's why most of successful ditchings in the past have been made with
landing gear retracted - the Hudson landing being the last example. A friend
ditched a Curtiss C-46 on a sideriver to the Congo river many years ago (was
running out of fuel). A non event according to the driver. The worst part
was all the crocs waiting to get them when they evacuated on a tiny raft.

For the Mono I would opt for the same and accept the higher airspeed with
flaps retracted. You have to play the touch down though - bleeding off
airspeed close to the surface and touch in a nose high attitude. In other
words touch with the aft part of the fuselage - paralell to a swell if
there's any.

Should result in a skim rather than a splosh!

Hans, LN-HJD