Re: Europa-List: Re: Electronic Mind Needed

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Electronic Mind Needed
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 23:49:06

On 04/09/2010 10:04 PM, Greg Fuchs wrote:

> Checking the suggesting wiring scheme for the Rotax installation in the
> Europa manual, it shows two 30A slow-blow fuses between the battery and the
> R-B-C connection on the regulator. One on either side of the master switch,
> both located under the cowling. If the schematic is a reference to location
> (not necessarily true, depending on implementation), one may be next to the
> regulator, and the other one may be next to the battery isolator or
> (non-starter side) of the starter solenoid. One of these in a blown state is
> the most likely culprint of your problem, in my estimation.

This is very well possible, just as I said, there is no connection
between the battery and the regulator.
The only odd thing here is that there is no voltage on the output of the
regulator. If the regulator was wired according to the books, then the
RBC connectors are tied together, and connected to the capacitor which
should be hard wired to the regulator. In this case, with a blown fuse,
you would expect a correct (but useless) 13.7 Volts at the B+ tab, and a
12 Volt at the battery. But Jeff doesn't see a voltage on the output,
indicating that there is more of a problem than just a blown fuse. I
suspect that the capacitor and/or C connector is behind the fuse, and
the regulator has subsequently been destroyed.

I think we will hear some more soon.

Frans