Europa-List: Re: Bubbling paint

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Bubbling paint
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:15:21

In a message dated 7/9/2009 3:02:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

> [...]
problem. If there are any fingerprints,  unreacted resins, whatever, on
the surface before painting osmosis will  occur. ALL paint systems are
permeable. As you say, wax is  best<<<<<

Hey Graham,

Yes, a lot of them are metal, but blistering can occur on metal airplanes,
too. My father owned a Mooney back when I was a teenager. The airplane was
less  than 2 years old and developed blisters on both wings. He sent it back
to the  factory in Texas to have it fixed and unfortunately, it was
destroyed in a  hail storm. Although that airplane sat out in the weather
constantly the  blistering probably had little to do with rain and everything to
do
with paint  preparation. Gel coat is bad about blistering on boats that are
in the water  constantly. I've owned a couple of sail boats that were docked
permanently in  water and both developed blisters on the hull below the
waterline after a  while in the water.

afraid tha
t it would be very difficult to  do any future touchups. My experience with
furniture lacquers is=2C that it  is very difficult to re-finish a tabletop
where any polish was used  containing wax or silicone=2C even when it is str
ipped down to the bare  wood.<<<<<<

Hey Karl,

The one thing you want to avoid at all costs is any finish enhancer that
contains silicone. That goes for DOT 5 brake fluid, too. Silicone is
extremely hard to get off once it's on the finish. Even sanding thoroughly won't

get it all off. There are silicone removers available. Most major paint
manufacturers make them in one form or another. We've tried a variety  of them

with mixed results. Repeated wiping with acetone in between sanding  seems to
work best, but we still get paint rejection from time to time. It's a  real
bitch sometimes and requires several cycles of painting and sanding to  get
the paint to stick if silicone is present. We've never had  problems with
bubbling or paint rejection after we got the paint or gel  coat to stick,
though.

glider an
d Europa  finishes. Can you confirm that and let us know what you use to pre
pare the  surface for re-painting ? I never used carnuba wax. Is it availabl
e in car  shops=2C and do I need a powered polisher for application ? Which
polishes  are to be avoided ?<<<<<<

Carnuba wax is a high quality car wax and it seems to produce the best
results. We use it on both urethane and gel coat finishes. Wx Block is  also
good, but it's pricey. Some folks prefer wax, others like Wx Block.
Personally, I like wax better because it shines better. You can usually  find a
good
Carnuba wax at any decent auto parts store. Expect to pay  around $10-$12 a
tin for it. We use the paste type Carnuba. Carnuba also will  wipe off with
acetone and/or sanding.

We tell folks to avoid anything with silicone, sillica or similar
ingredients, though. Use of such products will be troublesome later on if you
need
to do a repair. As I previously mentioned this is why we do not recommend
furniture polishes for canopies, but rather plexiglass wax. Canopy rails are
usually the first place paint or gel coat will chip because they flex and
there  are different expansion and contraction rates for the fiberglass rail
and the  plexiglass canopy. This usually causes a crack to form at the edge
where the two  meet. Chips usually follow.  Silicone products, even though
they are  slippery, also seem to tend to hold a slight electric charge which
tends to  cause dust to stick to the surface. We saw that one play out a
couple of years  ago at a glider meet out in Uvalde, TX. There was one guy in
the field of  competitors who wiped his whole glider down every day with
furniture  polish. Uvalde is desert conditions and there is a lot of dust. By
the end  of the meet his glider was a dust magnet. No one else at the meet was

having the  problem.

The wax is applied by hand, but you don't necessarily have to use a buffer
once it's ready to wipe out, but it does help melt the wax and gain a
better  application and a much better shine. I would not use an orbiting type
buffer,  though. Those type buffers will create swirls in your paint. We build

our own buffers out of a variable speed 7" die grinder. We use 9"  flannel
buffing pads stacked up about 5" thick. You can get "threaded collars"  to
fit the arbor of the grinder at virtually any hardware store to lengthen  the
grinder arbor shaft by about 3". First, put on a big fender washer,  then
the collar. Then, we add about 5" thick of 9" flannel  buffing pads to the
shaft. We really pack the pads on the shaft and  sometimes it involves using a

hammer to beat them onto the shaft so they  are good and tight. Then,
another big fender washer and a bolt  that mates to the other end of the
threaded

collar. Buffing is done end on. This  way it does not create swirls, only
shine.

You have to pay particular attention when you are buffing control surfaces
and near leading and trailing edges. It's best to buff those parallel to
the  wing or control surface for safety. If you buff 90 degrees to the control

 surface or wing edge and aren't very careful it's easy to catch on the
edge of a wing or control surface like an aileron or elevator if you don't
pay attention to the direction of rotation and you can damage the surface.  I
also "bump" the trigger repeatedly so that the buffer doesn't get going too
fast when I'm near the edge. Some grinders spin too fast for buffing, so we
 use a router speed control to provide better control the RPM.

 When buffing near the edge make sure the direction of rotation is  outward
---From the surface's edge. If the rotation is inward toward the edge  you
risk the buffer grabbing. I've twice seen ailerons literally torn off  by folks

who weren't paying attention. You don't have to put much pressure on  the
buffer, either. Usually, it's own weight is enough to do the job. It will
give your forearms a good workout, though. I can send you some pictures of the

 buffers we use if you'd like.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
N245E - Flying

**************Dell Studio XPS Desktop: Save up to $400 - Limited Time Offer
p:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D3)