Europa-List: Short wing versus glider wing root shape

Subject: Europa-List: Short wing versus glider wing root shape
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 12:02:48

Hi all,

At the moment, I'm installing the wing root fairings. Not the normal
fairings but the very nice fairings from Fred Klein. I can recommend
them, they are of a nice quality and significantly enhance the look of
the aircraft and most likely offer a major improvement in air flow.

The problem I have is that if I bond some part of the fairings to the
fuselage, this might it make it very difficult, if not impossible, to
fit the glider wings in the future.
I have always kept the option open to buy the glider wings in the
future, and don't want to abandon this option at this stage.

To avoid future problems, I need to know the shape of the wing roots of
the glider wings, in comparison to the normal wings.
The best option of course would be to lend some glider wings somewhere,
but there is as far as I know no-one near my country with these glider
wings.

My hope is now that there is someone who has or had both set of wings
and has made some comparison (ideally by drawing both wing root shapes
on the fuselage) and can tell me more about it.

I'm particularly interested in the area near the flaps. The glider wings
don't have flaps, so do the glider wings fill in part of the space
otherwise occupied by the flaps? The airbrakes, do they begin directly
at the wing root, or is there some space left at the wing root where it
is possible to construct a smooth adaptor fairing to the short wing
fairing on the fuselage? If it would be possible to construct an adaptor
fairing, this would be the solution to my problem, and probably also
hide the flap drive tube and associated holes at the same time.

--
Frans Veldman