Re: Europa-List: Aileron deflections

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aileron deflections
From: ofamerica.com YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:11:20
Karl,
The roll rate on the MG is a bit disappointing to me as a short wing
flier so I go for the maximum.  In the event you need it during a wake
turbulence recovery or near miss, it's imperative to have full
authority.

Most always I build my weights out of foam and glue them on the leading
edge to get the throw I need plus a little for filler and glass.  Then I
make the weight arms final.

Only if you build the wing perfectly do the existing weights work.  So
far my batting average is 50%.

As for the fix.  Die grind the things down to get the down you need.
Reglass over the top.

Now drill a hole in the foam area behind the weight and add more lead.
I mold some round slugs a half inch diameter and just slide them in to a
floxed hole and touch up the hole with flox and filler.

The up limit is most probably the filler on the top of the aileron.
Sand the wing skin back until you get to the point where the build in
stop on the aileron is the limit again.

Doesn't take long.  And by now the touchup is a breeze.  Just another
day in the shop.

Bud