Europa-List: Re: How goes flight testing?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: How goes flight testing?
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:32:41

Fellow Europaphiles,

Thought I'd provide an update on the Squawks situation.  Tommy, Gary
and I spent several hours on it this afternoon.

On Mar 2, 2009, at 18:36, Robert Borger wrote:

> Squawks:
>
> Have to look at the charging circuit for the battery.  The
> alternator is putting out 13.8 volts, but the battery isn't charging.

Didn't get around to testing this one yet.  Reason to at bottom...

> Have to get into the brakes and find out why they won't hold over
> 2500 RPM.  Might (probably) need bleeding.

Loose fitting.  Tightened fitting at master outlet and added brake
fluid.  Good.  Brakes hold to 4000+ RPM.

> Have to crank down on the friction for the throttle.  The springs
> cause the throttle to creep.

Dropped the throttle housing and applied about 1/4 to 1/2 turn to the
nut and now the throttle seems to have plenty of friction.  No final
test yet.

> Need to set a better idle stop on the throttle lever.  Too easy to
> pull the throttle lower than 1000 RPM while on the ground. <---<<<
> Corrected statement...

Not done yet as we discovered a fuel leak during ground testing and
had to cut all ground testing short (so no resolution on squawk #1 or
#4).

Leak is probably from the input side of the back side of the firewall
fitting.  See my build web site, Year #5, Q32 006, pic #2.   Probably
that fitting on picture right (Port side from aircraft view).  We will
have to raise the aircraft, put it on the reinforced sawhorses, safety
the landing gear down lock and take off the wheel/tire to get to it
and tighten it.  When the leak has been fixed, we can return to the
squawk list.  May be Saturday before we get to it.

Check six,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
Aircraft Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208