Europa-List: Re: How goes flight testing?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: How goes flight testing?
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:36:20

Ron,

I'll reply to you and the list as well.

Coordinating weather (wind mostly) has been a serious issue.  We have
had so much wind over the last couple weeks it has been amazing.  Im
talking 20 to 25 Kts steady with gusts over 34 kts.    This morning
was OK, but was becoming dicy ( with my experience level in the
monowheel) at the end of the flight with an 8 - 10 Kt 30 degree x-wind.

Flew for the second time today.  About 45 minutes.  Have discovered
some additional issues that need to be cleaned up before I fly again.

Squawks:

Have to look at the charging circuit for the battery.  The alternator
is putting out 13.8 volts, but the battery isn't charging.

Have to get into the brakes and find out why they won't hold over 2500
RPM.  Might (probably) need bleeding.

Have to crank down on the friction for the throttle.  The springs
cause the throttle to creep.

Need to set a better idle stop on the throttle lever.  Too easy to
pull the throttle lower than 2000 RPM while on the ground.

Notes:

The aircraft climbs like a homesick angel.  With moderate weight
today, it climbed at over 1200 fpm with 5700 rpm and 34 in.  Easily at
pattern altitude while on cross wind.

The aircraft is is VERY light and sensitive on the controls.  The
controls are very well balanced.  All are light and sensitive.  Rudder
is very effective as soon as you apply any power at all.  Torque on
takeoff is impressive for such a small prop/engine.

Strong pitch change with gear/flap extension.  Pitch up with
retraction, pitch down with extension.

Speed control on base and final is very important.

Throttle control on final is very important (creeping throttle doesn't
help)

Precise alignment with the runway centerline is critical.

Maintaining precise alignment with the runway centerline during last
of landing phase is critical

Precise pitch control after roundout is critical.  The aircraft
baloons very easily.

Very precise management of the speed and descent during touchdown is
critical to not get a baloon or bounce.

It appears that the wing is not at the stall angle when sitting on the
ground.   Stall angle has the nose quite high.  You will have the
tailwheel on the ground and the main well over a foot off the ground.
You are actually slow-flighting the aircraft onto the ground.  This is
why a bounce is so bad on touchdown.  The wing is still capable of
flight so with a bounce it flies off at very low speed.  Immediate
power is require to regain control.  Don't even think about trying to
land again unless you have LOTS (4 or 5 thousand feet maybe) of runway
left to get set up again.  Just go around.

I'm kinda sorta close to getting it, but I think that another 2 hours
at least will be required to gain more consistency.  Probably more
time if the flights remain a week or more apart.  I really need about
3 days straight with morning and evening flights to gain the
consistency I'd like.

This will be a fantastic aircraft once I have a reasonable level of
comfort with the landings.

Looks like several more days of wind and work on the aircraft before
any more flight attempts.

Check six,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
Aircraft Flying!
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208