RE: Europa-List: fuel pump etc

Subject: RE: Europa-List: fuel pump etc
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 19:30:51

Hi Rowland,

See responses below:

>>If anyone has produced a table, or schematic, or drawing of
>>all the different fittings sizes, and where they were used, it would be oh
>>so most helpful to me

>This is still subject to editing in the light of experience - but I
>hope it will be of some use.

I am sure it will, and will take a look at this tomorrow. Tonight I have an
election result family gathering to tend to.

I am sure it will, I thought it might be you, that had some info on this,
being one of the more thorough of anyone on the site.

>Note that I am planning to leave out the factory-supplied glass
>filters which are intended to be fitted upstream of the selector. My
>thinking is that the filter area in the Andair gascolator is so much
>bigger than the factory ones, and it will be so much easier to check,
>that having 1 filter instead of 2 will not increase risk of fuel
>starvation significantly.

Good point. It sounds like a better than factory arrangement. I too, will
not be using the glass filters. They will be replaced however, by two more
filters (yet to be determined), with a very large surface area on its filter
media. They will be downstream of the selector, as well, and each will be
installed on the input to the pump. The Andair gascolator (I plan to install
it near the engine) will be the large one, with increased surface area, as
well. I have not thought it out yet, but plan to have pressure or suction
measurements on both pumps, to provide advanced warning to failure of either
side (pump-filter combos). Unfortunately, there will be 3 filters to tend
to, as opposed to 1. Two though, basically care for themselves (with
real-time feedback), and the other will be checked before each flight, for
water mostly.

>I am also planning to modify Graham Singleton's sight gauge
>modification, by taking the upper end to the filler moulding instead
>of the top tank vent. I've heard reports of fuel coming back down
>from the vent when the tank is filled and causing airlocks in the
>sight gauge.

I decided to skip the glass sight gauge for now, and see how the special
tubing that others have tried (the pvc with Teflon lining inside) works
first. It runs up the seat-back, but final supports for it will come
later(it needs a slightly wider turn radius, to prevent kinking of the
Teflon liner). That seems to be the more simple way, for now. Alternatively,
all of the turns will be replaced with normal multi-fuel capable black fuel
hose, and the 'special' tubing will be only used at the sight area, using
some fittings.
The site tube connection to the filler tube seems to be a good way to go,
for more than one reason(fuel spillage, air pressure, ?).
ALAN YERLY has some good pics on sight tube location at
customflightcreations.com. It seems to be about the same.

>BTW, apologies for my late responses to the original replies to my
>posting. The Matronics list server suddenly decided to reject my
>messages, thanks to a badly-configured spam filter, and it was
>several days before i could get through again.

I was delayed too, but I was just busy. Your excuse is a bit better than
mine :):)

Regards,

Greg F.
XS TRI 914