Re: Europa-List: fuel pump etc

Subject: Re: Europa-List: fuel pump etc
From: Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:03:48

Depends on the type of pump.
A roller-cell pump (914 etc) is very intolerant of dirt (it scores the
traces in the pump). The shuttle type pump (eg Facet) is far more tolerant.

Both types of pump are much better at pushing than pulling; so any partial
blockage of a filter on the suction side will test the ability of the pump
to suck (typically a maximum suction head of 0.6m is quoted for roller cell
pumps; much of this allowance  can be used up with high flow rates and  the
tortuous plumbing frequently seen). This is asking for trouble, particularly
if Mogas is being used.

Duncan McF.