RE: Europa-List: fuel pump etc

Subject: RE: Europa-List: fuel pump etc
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:49:05

Hi! Duncan
Yes I understand but of course there is generally a "head" assisting the
suction side of the pumps since they are on the belly plate. My reserve
side is my main fall back system but at least the gascolator filters do
allow for quite a volume of contamination before blocking and regular
water drain checks AND gascolator drain checks should give adequate
insurance.
My previous experiences of blockage was the "dog hair and cloth fibres"
in a bad drilling intersection of the Europa Tank Connectors. Now with
Graham Singleton's connectors fitted at least the "crud" gets through to
the gascolators . I'm no longer using the gauze type finger filters but
brass tubular with many holes drilled and deburred so as not to catch
the fibres etc. Still I had the problem with water and rust which I
believe I picked up in Europe. I use white plastic drums to fill locally
with visual inspection of the drum bottom prior to using one of Alan
Burrows electric pumps which doesn't reach the bottom anyway.
However it still didn't show in the tank water drains. When I ground the
a/c soon for the Mode S fiasco I will have the tank top off and do wipe
out.
At least the gascolators will accommodate a reasonable volume of water
before blocking, if "REASONABLE" IS THE WORD!
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG