Re: Europa-List: roll control tufnol bearings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: roll control tufnol bearings
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 20:05:57

>Although I have *no* insight at all, I would wonder if the tufnol
>material would absorb oil/grease and swell.

Pete - thanks for your message. I had the feeling I'd seen a
reference to just such an occurrence a good while back, but I can't
dig it up now.

It seems that the manual is talking about greasing the face of the
Tufnol, which is all smooth resin with no fibres bare, rather than
the bore, which has cut fibres terminating throughout its surface.
Grease or oil might well have the possibility of migrating into those
fibres. The different behaviours of a drop of grease or oil when
wiped against the faces and ends of a piece of Tufnol suggest to me
that some absorption is taking place - the face wipes clean with no
trace left, but the edge remains stained.

I am concerned that fitting and using a grease nipple would increase
the opportunity for absorption, even if it did help with the
lubrication of the bearing faces.

>If you receive or find the answer of tufnol compatible lubrication,
>I'd be grateful if you could pass the info along

I'll post the answer here on the list if I get one by any other route.

regards

Rowland