Re: Europa-List: roll control tufnol bearings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: roll control tufnol bearings
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:18:54

Rowland
do not go for an engineering bearing fit with the Tufnol. I once took of
after a cold night (in the hangar) and the weather had warmed up a lot.
The metal parts expanded a lot quicker than the Tufnol did and the
controls were stiff for the first hour or two, then loosened up.
There are two problem points as Ron says, the axial clearance which is
best set up with a tissue paper washer, torn out after cure.
The radial binding is sometimes due to the CS02 fork end not being
coaxial with the torque tube, because of the clearance needed to get the
Redux in. If the Tufnol block is also not coaxial it will bind when the
torque tube rotates.
If you inserted thin wire splines of just the right thickness (1/2 the
clearance, whatever that is, that might work
Graham