Re: Europa-List: roll control tufnol bearings

Subject: Re: Europa-List: roll control tufnol bearings
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:07:15

>>Although I have *no* insight at all, I would wonder if the tufnol
>>material would absorb oil/grease and swell

>>If you receive or find the answer of tufnol compatible lubrication,
>>I'd be grateful if you could pass the info along

Pete - the definitive answer from Neville Eyre via Roger is that any
sort of grease is probably best kept away from the cut edges of the
Tufnol, because it's likely to cause swelling. Apart from directly
affecting the integrity of the Tufnol, grease is also likely to act
as a magnet for dust etc which would turn it into grinding paste.

The manual suggests wiping the faces of CS04 with grease before
assembling the CS02-CS03-CS04 cluster - but that should only be
applied to the glassy as-manufactured surfaces, not the cut edges or
bore of the hole. The only lubricant Neville would accept for the
bore is PTFE. I have never seen it myself but apparently it can be
got as a spray which is solid particles in a rapid-evaporating
propellant.

regards

Rowland