Re: Europa-List: there are pilots who have and ....

Subject: Re: Europa-List: there are pilots who have and ....
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:24:31

Jos, I have a fair amount of relevant experience in the matter (!),
particularly in gliding, and I suspect that  pilots who are convinced they
have put the gear down will not be persuaded otherwise by a warning horn. I
have known a glider fly a 100km task with the gear down and then carefully
pull it up and land ignoring the gear up warning noise! (Assuming it must be
some malfunction because the pilot knew he had just done the gear)
        Now I would rather rely on  a simple check list rigidly applied on
down wind and finals: PUFF = Prop/Undercarriage/Fuel/ Flap. Undercarriage
and flap both demand visual confirmation.
     Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ