Re: Europa-List: An another incident for Finnish Europa around Barkaby

Subject: Re: Europa-List: An another incident for Finnish Europa around Barkaby
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:08:12

Raimo, Congratulations on your cool response (only 150bpm!) and survival!
    I hate lightning. Always find myself thinking about the UK glider whose
wing actually blew apart. In thinking how to prepare my plane for a trip to
Australia (where close encounters with lightning are almost inevitable) I
came across the attached in a 2001 CAA paper on lightning protection, (the
earlier pages were all about tin aircraft), which says:
      4 Gliders. Attention should be given to these aircraft, especially
those of non metallic structure, and bonding straps should be installed
between the extremities to conduct any strike away from the flying controls.
A point to remember is that bonding should run as straight as possible
avoiding loops formed by excess lengths at, for example, transport joints,
since a lightning strike will jump across any sharp loops or bends.
       Before I head off to Asia, I plan to put aluminium mesh right along
the aileron and flap close outs joining to the rear lift pin to allow wing
tip to wing tip lightning travel, and probably also a similar strap from the
engine frame along the tunnel to the tail wheel spring. Would weigh probably
less than a kg. What do you think?
 Regards David Joyce, G-XSDJ, Mono XS