Re: Europa-List: Trike Main gear sockets

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trike Main gear sockets
From: Michael Grass <m.grass@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 05:33:55
Hi Rob,

The complaint I have is to myself that I do not find the time to do more
building. I enjoy time spend on my plane. The point I tried to make is that
the builder spend quite some time on the web for the main gear sockets.
Even without the top on you spend a lot time bending over.
Building should be fun. It is more fun if you work smart and try to have as
easy access as possible. To me, time spend building is therapy. What you
don't want is therapy after time spend building so work smart and enjoy the
quality time spend with your project.

What I did, I used bondo and stuck 5 reference points to the garage floor. 3
along the centerline of the fuselage. One in the front, one in the center of
the main gear legs and one in the center under the fin. all lined up and on
the exact same height and in level along a line.

Then I bonded with bondo the endpoints of the main gear legs to the floor.
Again made sure with Pythagoras help that it was square to the center line
and on the same
level.

After that I rolled my fuselage cradle over those points and used M12
threaded rod as a height adjustment to level the fuselage over my 3
reference points along the center line and clamped the main gear legs into
position.

This kept the fuselage the whole time igid and secured in place.

I kept this setup in place till the top fuselage was bonded on. Nothing
moved and all is plum, squared and level.

Regards

Michael Grass
A266 Trigear, Detroit