Re: Europa-List: Tire question - cannot fly before information

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tire question - cannot fly before information
From: David Watts <dg.watts@talktalk.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:19:25

Raimo,

I have never actually cut one of the factory supplied tyres open, but after
a couple of years of operating it I got a puncture (luckily on taxi out). To
try and find the small point that had caused it I placed my hand inside the
tyre with the other on the outside.

I have to say that the rubber material is very, very thin and although I
re-used the tyre (after repair to the tube) for a few weeks, I straight away
got in a replacement regualr aircraft tyre (which Europa now supply). This
has several advantages. Thicker rubber, stiffer wall (less sideways roll)
and more clearance with the undercarriage frame legs.

I know this is not the firm measurement that you required, but personally,
if there was any piont scoring, as you would get with a brake calliper score
mark, I would definitely not use the tyre. Whilst we used the original tyre,
we did have some marks made my the undercarriage legs, but that was more
like a polishing mark than a scored mark, and whilst I wasn't happy with it,
I did put up with it, whilst monitoring it all the time.

Dave Watts
Europa Mono Classic 229 with 1250 hrs.

I was flying today w my mono and one friend.
Suddenly we got some bad weather and clouds lowered
to the 600 feet from the ground. Wind was 13 knots
and 90 degrees from the right side. I was quite stressed
when landing and let is say I "forgot" to pull the stick
fully back. So I did a one wheel landing with that wind.
There was some quite sharp and fast S-turns while landing
but I managed to keep it in control and in one piece.
Now I really know why I have to have legs.
The Europa rudder must be quite effective!
I have to say I was not very proud of that landing and
so I was forced to do it again - just to show to my friend
it is possible to land straight and beautiful (and it was).

After 2nd landing we noticed the brake calliber has hit to
the tire side. I have an original Europa Titan Turf Glide
8.00-6 tire. In manual they say use 1,2 bar but I have
used to use 1,8 bar. Today - because of the cold weather
and my laziness - there was only 1,0 bar.

The brake calliber has hitted all the summer to the tire
and I have noticed earlier those "marks" only
- no significant wear almost at all. That is why I have
decided to update real Aircraft tire and to the size 7.00-6.
Now - today and with all the earlier landings
- the brake calliber has "eaten" tire side let
is say 1,0 mm (=0,04").

Somebody may think it was a "hard" landing but it
was not: my G-meter w register showed only -0,4/+1,8G.

Question:

HOW THICK IS THE SIDE OF the Titan Turf Glide?

If it is less than 2 mm - I cannot fly before new tire.
If somebody has a spare Titan tire, please measure the
side thickness. Thank you. Would like to get some
answers asap and hope it is more than 3 mm thick!

Raimo
====
OH-XRT #417, 38 hrs so far, no specified grins but very happy