Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp scimitar blades (was Emailing: IMG_0410, IMG_0

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Woodcomp scimitar blades (was Emailing: IMG_0410, IMG_0411)
From: Carl Pattinson <carl.pattinson@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:23:48

John,

Having tracked down the VLA specs I had a look at what it had to say about prop
clearances. Unless I am very much mistaken I dont beleive the tyre should be
deflated to achieve the 230mm clearance.

Here is the actual wording

"(a) Ground clearance. There must be a clearance of at least 180 mm (for each
aeroplane
with nose wheel landing gear) or 230 mm (for each aeroplane with tail
wheel landing gear) between each propeller and the ground with the landing gear
statically deflected and in the level, normal take-off, or taxying attitude,
whichever is most critical. In addition, for each aeroplane with conventional
landing gear struts using fluid or mechanical means for absorbing landing
shocks,
there must be positive clearance between the propeller and the ground in
the level take-off attitude with the critical tyre completely deflated and the
corresponding landing gear strut bottomed."

If my interpretation is right there have to be two checks made. You first load
the aircraft up to its maximum weight and the clearance has to be in excess of
230mm, then you deflate the tyre and there should then be what they describe
as "positive clearance" .

Having said this my understanding is that most Classic Europas would fail the
VLA
test even with the 1575 blade fitted (ie: the Warp Drive). However the ruling
is not retrospective so should not affect existing approved installatons.

Apparently the XS monos are not similarly affected because the XS engine mount
raises the propeller by about 1.5" (compared to the mono. Consequently the
1625mm
prop can be approved.

None of which is any help to me - it seems the Woodcomp is a non starter.

Read this topic online here: