Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp scimitar blades (was Emailing: IMG_0410, IMG_0

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp scimitar blades (was Emailing: IMG_0410, IMG_0411)
From: JohnDHeykoop@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 04:19:25

carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk writes:

Hi  Bob,

I noticed your ac is fitted with the Woodcomp Scimitar  blades.

What prompted your choice (presumably over the Airmaster) and  how are you
finding it. Is there any noticeable improvement in  performance.
Are you using the Woodcomp or the Smart cotroller.

We  are currently looking to fit a replacement prop and the scimitar blade is

something of a rarity amongst Europas. In fact William Mills was the only
other one I was aware of.

Carl Pattinson
G_LABS

PS: any  problem with the PFA approving the installation.

Carl & others interested in Woodcomp Scimitar blades for the  monowheel Europa

I too was briefly interested in the Woodcomp propeller with scimitar  blades,
but have now bought an Airmaster propeller. In the UK the  65" (1650mm)
diameter of the Woodcomp scimitar blades is an issue, the normal  maximum for
the

monowheel Europa being 64" (1625mm). William Mills  had scimitar blades fitted

to his mono, but according to the PFA  his propeller was only 63" . I suppose
William's  propeller must have been an early prototype.

The PFA will only allow you to fit a propeller of more than 64"  diameter if
you can show compliance with CS-VLA925. In order  to do that you will have to
demonstrate that the ground clearance from the  propeller tip, with the
aircraft fully loaded, in a level attitude and with a  flat tyre, is at least
230mm.

You don't actually have to deflate the  tyre, for you can simply subtract the
distance from the rim to the ground from  your ground clearance measurement.

If you think the scimitar blades are worth all this hassle it  would be
prudent to make sure that you are going to get at least  230mm ground clearance

before you place an order. That means doing the  measurements twice, once before

you order the propeller, and the second time  once you have the scimitar
blades fitted.

You can, of course, buy the Woodcomp propeller with standard blades. If you
go this route, get one with the Smart Avionics controller. Woodcomp know how
to  make good propellers, but their controller has a  poor reputation.

Hope this helps

John
Europa XS monowheel G-JHKP (Rotax 912S + Airmaster CS, 2200 build hours
todate - hopefully I will be flying next summer)