Europa-List: Tire question - cannot fly before information

Subject: Europa-List: Tire question - cannot fly before information
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:21:57
All

I was flying today w my mono and one friend.
Suddenly we got some bad weather and clouds lowered
to the 600 feet from the ground. Wind was 13 knots
and 90 degrees from the right side. I was quite stressed
when landing and let is say I "forgot" to pull the stick
fully back. So I did a one wheel landing with that wind.
There was some quite sharp and fast S-turns while landing
but I managed to keep it in control and in one piece.
Now I really know why I have to have legs.
The Europa rudder must be quite effective!
I have to say I was not very proud of that landing and
so I was forced to do it again - just to show to my friend
it is possible to land straight and beautiful (and it was).

After 2nd landing we noticed the brake calliber has hit to
the tire side. I have an original Europa Titan Turf Glide
8.00-6 tire. In manual they say use 1,2 bar but I have
used to use 1,8 bar. Today - because of the cold weather
and my laziness - there was only 1,0 bar.

The brake calliber has hitted all the summer to the tire
and I have noticed earlier those "marks" only
- no significant wear almost at all. That is why I have
decided to update real Aircraft tire and to the size 7.00-6.
Now - today and with all the earlier landings
- the brake calliber has "eaten" tire side let
is say 1,0 mm (=0,04").

Somebody may think it was a "hard" landing but it
was not: my G-meter w register showed only -0,4/+1,8G.

Question:

HOW THICK IS THE SIDE OF the Titan Turf Glide?

If it is less than 2 mm - I cannot fly before new tire.
If somebody has a spare Titan tire, please measure the
side thickness. Thank you. Would like to get some
answers asap and hope it is more than 3 mm thick!

Raimo
====
OH-XRT #417, 38 hrs so far, no specified grins but very happy