Re: Europa-List: Longer Pip Pins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Longer Pip Pins
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@redzone.com.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:05:41

Carl Pattinson wrote :-

> Is there any reason why one couldnt cut away a small amount of the bottom
> bid layups using the tip of a twist drill - just enough to allow the pip
> to open. I cant see this compromising the strength of the bottom layups.

Hello Carl,

I am sure someone else asked this very question a few days ago and AFAIK it
wasn't taken up by anybody.  At the time, I couldn't see any reason myself
and was hoping someone would oblige.  At this moment however, my mind must
be a bit clearer because I think I can now see quite a good reason.

I am not all that knowledgeable on Mod 73 but I know it requires the lay-up
of Bid onto the TP6 bush and the nearby rib.  If the hole that is drilled
through the new lay-up is a neat fit around the Pip Pin shaft, any loads
taken by the TP6 bush will be shared by

1  the bond between the lay-ups and the TP 6 bush
2  The new joggle the lay-up forms over the end of the TP 6 bush and
3  by the lay-up through to the rib courtesy of the firm fit of the Pip Pin
in the new hole just drilled.

Should the hole be enlarged even slightly, (eg to allow expansion of the Pip
Pin balls), Item 3 above would be negated.

It seems to me that Mod 73 attempts to provide a two belts and braces
solution as opposed to just a belt and braces one.

I always think it is a pity with instructions when they say "don't do
something" without explaining the reason therefore.  To less experienced
persons, the reason can sometimes not be very obvious so if it is explained,
not only is general knowledge gained but one will naturally have more
respect for the prohibition and be less likely to ignore it.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards
Kingsley in Oz.