Europa-List: Longer Pip Pins

Subject: Europa-List: Longer Pip Pins
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:30:45

One thing that has been puzzling me over the last couple of days is why Mod
73 should require longer pip pins than those originally supplied - 1.75"

My aircraft hasnt undergone the mod as yet and at present there is between
2-3mm play when you tug on the pip pins. My understanding is that mod 73
requires two plies of bid over the top of the TP6 sleeve and this should add
no more than 1.5mm to the overall diameter so my pins should still fit.

I dont have the original build instructions to hand but the drawing in FSB
006 shows the pip pin touching the top of TP6 (no layer of bid or flox
underneath). Mine certainly has a hole drilled through the bid/ flox base
such that there is no gap between the pip pin shoulder and the upper surface
of TP6. I used a woodworkers drill bit, not a twist drill to make the hole.

The need for longer pins would suggest that some top pip pin recesses have
an excessive amount of flox (or even foam !!!) at their base which is taking
up unnecessary length.

It might be worth asking the Europa if it is acceptable to drill a hole
through the top recess so that the shoulder of the pin sits flush with TP6
( the drawing certainly suggests this is how it should be). I would have
thought it perfectly acceptable, especially after Mod 73 has been done. This
would eliminate the need to buy longer pins.

No doubt someone will come up with a good reason why this is a bad idea -
but nothing ventured etc.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS