Re: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:04:21
14 Hantone HillI think many Europa builders realised the stainless steel
rings would cause a problem sooner or later and took steps to mitigate
the problem (such as mod 10672).

I scored each ring (TP6 sleeve) with a hacksaw at 45 degrees around the
circumference and am pretty confident it is secure. There is also a flox
ring surrounding the outside of the stainless steel ring which is bonded
to the plywood sheet and I also have photos to prove it. Problem is it
is bonded to the inboard surface of the plywood insert which under
extreme loads could break away.

Unfortunately the PFA have to assume the worst posible standard of build
and come up with a failsafe remedy.

Personally I think Mod 73 is a somewhat inelegant solution to the
problem and we may yet see further amendments to this design. For my
money I feel its weakness is that it relies on a relatively shallow lip
to prevent a disbonded TP6 sleeve working its way inboard of the
tailplane.

I note from my own photos of the finished layups that about 8-10mm of
TP6 protrudes beyond the outboard end of the plywood insert. Since major
invasive surgery has been deemed necessary it might have been better to
cut an aperture in the underside of the tailplane, cut away the
surrounding foam from the outboard end of the TP6 sleeve and redux a
retaining ring or plate onto the protruding end of the sleeve. Even then
it would be impossible to guarantee the integrity of such a bond.

At least Mod 73 should bring some of the poorer installations up to an
acceptable and safe standard.

Its a pity the original design couldnt have been better but then we all
know hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS