RE: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73
From: glenn crowder <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:37:08

  Yeah, I got that but without mass balancing, the elevator could tend to s
lam up or down
to the stops, possibly ripping the stick out of the pilots hands.  One or t
wo oscillations of
this sort and the tail would come off for sure.

                                                 Glenn> From: kheindl@msn.c
om> To: europa-list@matronics.com> Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa Tailpla
ne - Mod 73> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:43:49 +0100> > --> Europa-List messa
ge posted by: "Karl Heindl" <kheindl@msn.com>> > > > > > > >> >> > I wonder
 about the integrity of the elevator mass balance in the accident > >aircra
ft. If the> >mass balance had become disengaged for any reason, then the sl
ightest > >disturbance in pitch> >could cause the elevator to become uncont
rollable. This would be > >consistent with the report> >of wild pitch excur
sions initially prior to the tail departing.> > > I am not so sure about th
e above. A failing mass balance would have the same > effect as pushing the
 stick forward. The pilot would instinctively pull back > the stick and reg
ain level flight. Maximum trim would then reduce that load > a little, but
there should be no real problem in maintaining ccordinated > flight with th
e stick held back.> > Karl> > > >> > Glenn> From: > >willie.harrison@tinyon
line.co.uk> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa > >Tailplane - Mod 73> Date: S
opa-List message posted by: William > >Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline
.co.uk>> > I have heard that there are > >still doubts in the AAIB investig
ation > about whether the initial failure > >was the wing pin (with > conse
quential failure of the tail) or the other > >way around. Hence we > are be
ing required to cover both hypotheses by mods > >and checks front > and bac
k.> > If it was indeed the wing pin which failed > >first - very big "if" -
 > then the implication is that the tail could/would > >have then failed >
because it was subject to loads it had never been > >designed for > (perhap
s a sudden pitch or roll or yaw?) , and not because > >there was > anything
 wrong with it - it would have been a consequential > >event, > not a causa
l one. You might also feel that if the wing pin had > >failed > then the ai
rcraft may have been doomed whether or not the tail > >broke > up. If this
is true then perhaps neither mod 73 nor Nigel's mod > > >would have saved t
he day.> > A supporting thought to this hypothesis is > >that the build qua
lity > around the wing pin on the crash aircraft is known > >to have been p
oor. > Also, the aircraft is known to have been returning > >from a Permit
> inspection when the wings would have been removed and > >replaced. > Perh
aps in refitting the wing, some damage was done to the > >already > comprom
ised wing pin?> > Just a thought.> > Willie Harrison> > > > > > On 14 Jul 2
007, at 15:05, Carl Pattinson wrote:> > > --> Europa-List > >message posted
 by: "Carl Pattinson" > > <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>> >> > > >Im not sur
e your mod would have prevented Williams accident.> >> > I > >believe his k
it would have been purchased in 1994 and was > > finished in > >1995.> >> >
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nigel Graham" > > > ><nigel_graham@
btconnect.com>> > To: <europa-list@matronics.com>> > Sent: > >Saturday, Jul
y 14, 2007 1:59 PM> > Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa > >Tailplane - Mod 7
l_graham@btconnect.com>> >>> >> Hartstikke bedankt heren, > >tot u dienst.>
 > >> late '90s> >> highlighting the potential problem with > >the tailplan
e and > >> proposing that the> >> tailplane mod be adopted as > >the standa
rd build procedure. It would > >> have cost> >> nothing - no > >extra parts
, just a change to build instructions the > >> manual.> >> In my > >mail to
 them, I even predicted a sequence of events that > >> could lead > >to> >>
 a tailplane becoming detached and the resulting in-flight break-up > > > >
> of the> >> aircraft.> >> No interest was shown whatsoever and I never > >
heard back from them.> >> When I learned of the in-flight break-up of > >Wi
lliam's plane, I had a> >> sickening feeling that I knew what might have >
>happened. The full > >> AAIB report> >> will confirm (or otherwise) if I >
 >was correct but the fact that the> >> authorities are looking closely at
> >this component leads me to > >> believe I'm on> >> the money.> >>> >> >
>m.v.g.> >>> >> Nigel> >>> >> -----Original Message-----> >> From: > >owner
-europa-list-server@matronics.com> >> > >[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@m
atronics.com]On Behalf Of Jan de > >> > >Jong> >> Sent: 14 July 2007 12:46>
 >> To: europa-list@matronics.com> >> > >Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa T
ailplane - Mod 73> >>> >>> >> --> > >Europa-List message posted by: Jan de
Jong > >> <jan.de.jong@xs4all.nl>> > > >>> >> I am glad to second that. Tha
nk you very much indeed!> >> Regards,> > > >> Jan de Jong> >>> >> josok wro
te:> >>> --> Europa-List message posted > >by: "josok" <josok-e@ukolo.fi>>
e right person > >>> for a great> >> > >idea! So: Thanks, ever so happy tha
t i don't have to worry about > >> > >loose> >> bushes!> >>> :-)> >>>> >>>
Regards,> >>>> >>> Jos Okhuijsen> >>>> > > >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> Vis
___________________________________> >Missed the show?  Watch videos of the
 Live Earth Concert on MSN.> >http://liveearth.msn.com> > _________________
====> > >
Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one pla
ce! Find it!
http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01