Re: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:01:35

I have heard that there are still doubts in the AAIB investigation
about whether the initial failure was the wing pin (with
consequential failure of the tail) or the other way around. Hence we
are being required to cover both hypotheses by mods and checks front
and back.

If it was indeed the wing pin which failed first - very big "if" -
then the implication is that the tail could/would have then failed
because it was subject to loads it had never been designed for
(perhaps a sudden pitch or roll or yaw?) , and not because there was
anything wrong with it - it would have been a consequential event,
not a causal one. You might also feel that if the wing pin had failed
then the aircraft may have been doomed whether or not the tail broke
up. If this is true  then perhaps neither mod 73 nor Nigel's mod
would have saved the day.

A supporting thought to this hypothesis is that the build quality
around the wing pin on the crash aircraft is known to have been poor.
Also, the aircraft is known to have been returning from a Permit
inspection when the wings would have been removed and replaced.
Perhaps in refitting the wing, some damage was done to the already
compromised wing pin?

Just a thought.

Willie Harrison