RE: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane - Mod 73
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:43:49

>  I wonder about the integrity of the elevator mass balance in the accident
>aircraft.  If the
>mass balance had become disengaged for any reason, then the slightest
>disturbance in pitch
>could cause the elevator to become uncontrollable.  This would be
>consistent with the report
>of wild pitch excursions initially prior to the tail departing.

I am not so sure about the above. A failing mass balance would have the same
effect as pushing the stick forward. The pilot would instinctively pull back
the stick and regain level flight. Maximum trim would then reduce that load
a little, but there should be no real problem in maintaining ccordinated
flight with the stick held back.

Karl

Tell MSN about your most memorable emails!  http://www.emailbritain.co.uk/