Re: Europa-List: Tailplane flutter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tailplane flutter
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:21:48

Hello Duncan

"I agree that they loosen up on repeated  fitment"

Once you do what I refer to as burnishing, the hole size remains much more
stable. I suspect that not only does it smooth the inperfections of the
wall, but expands the metal just a bit where it becomes less resiliant to
change.

I talked to a guy who used to refirbish critical gear components of Gruman
carrier aircraft. Before final reaming, he would use a hydraulic expander
to first enlarge and stabalize hole.

Making a dogbone or first hole slight larger than the second goes even
further to preventing damaging fit.

Ron Parigoris