Re: Europa-List: Tailplane flutter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tailplane flutter
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:07:27
Thanks Ian

The bolted option sounds like good engineering if done properly.

One other idea I have heard suggested, (by Tony Kay) is that a snug
fitting inner tube is assembled, eg with Bearing Fit /retainer grade
Loctite, into the torque tube, basically to make the whole thing
thicker-walled and therefore to reduce the contact stress of the pin/
tube contact areas. I think it would be a machine shop job to get the
drilling and reaming done accurately so obviously the torque tube
would have to come out.

The other option might be simply to junk the existing torque tube and
substitute something beefier (thicker walled and or harder). Not sure
how the CofG works out for a mono but most trigears seem to have a
hefty lump of lead in the tail so they could presumably take the
extra weight of a reinforced or beefier torque tube with a
corresponding reduction in the ballast weight.

By the way, I think it is highly enlightened of Francis to invite
ideas from owner/builders. Most of us know from uncomfortable
experience what practical implications are  put on any solution by
the access issue, to say nothing of being "stakeholders" in the
success of the outcome.

Thanks for your good work.

Willie Harrison