Re: Europa-List: 180 degree turn back

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 180 degree turn back
From: DuaneFamly@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:47:59

In a message dated 6/19/2007 6:22:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
georgepowell@hotmail.com writes:

During  my checkout in a Piper Lance, my instructor worked with me on
power-off 180  approaches.  Abeam the numbers on downwind at 1,000 feet, the
power

came  off.  The Lance glides like a brick, and it took me many attempts and a

deft touch to get the airplane anywhere near the  runway.

This is an item that I always worry about.....whenever I fly the pattern, I
was taught during my tail dragger training by Amelia Reid, that the distance
my  downwind leg is away from the runway is what I feel is the proper "engine
out  gliding" distance. According to her, if you are in your  proper pattern,
then if you should lose you engine, you can glide to the  runway. I have found

too many pilots fly the same ground point references now  matter what type of
plane they fly. If the Europa glides like a streamlined  brick, then I might
tend to accept a further downwind leg  distance from the runway. But if I flew

a real brick, then I would tend to stay  much closer to the runway. Am I
missing something?

So to that end, can I put a few questions to those flying tri gear and
conventional gear?
1) Monos have no choice about flaps on takeoff....what is the norm for the
other two types?
2) How about slips to lose any extra speed of height? Loved doing them in
Cessnas...seemed very stable....the Europa?

Mike Duane  A207A
Redding, California
XS Conventional Gear
Jabiru 3300