Re: Europa-List: 180 degree turn back

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 180 degree turn back
From: Rick Stockton <aireupora@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:03:34
Im going to piggy-back on Jon's comments.  I have over 12K+ hours and over half
of those were as an instructor in both airplanes and helicopters.  I taught all
my primary students the 180 turn back to the runway, but not the 180 that most
of you are thinking of.
  the first turn has to be into the wind.  It has to be a turn of about 45
degrees
then back to opposite way to get line-up with the runway.
  I good friend was teaching at the Livermore airport a couple of years ago and
almost made it back after the engine failed on takeoff in a KCAB.  He hit
between
the runways.  Both he and his student walked away.  It takes a lot of practice
to do this maneuver successfully.  Just before my student would take their
check ride Id do one just after doing an engine out emergency to a field, but
at altitude.  It was always a hard maneuver to perform by the student.  If
you dont practice it, then dont try and turn back to the field.

  When I give CFI check rides it is one maneuver I give each check ride.  There
is not a correct way to do it.  I want to see if the applicant uses good
judgment.
If there elect to go straight ahead then I think he is showing good judgment.
If the elect to go back and has enough altitude and lines up with the
runway then they are using good judgment.

  When I get my Eupora built and flying it is one maneuver that I will do during
the testing phase to find out the correct bank angles and the correct speed.
These will all be done at altitude.  Hopefully, I will never have to do one
for real.

  I'm in class right now and in the classroom the use of the airplane parachute
has come up.  A number of people flying the simulator did not pull it when they
iced up, ran out of gas, and the WX was zero-zero.  You will do what you have
practiced. Most of us have not practiced pulling a parachute in an emergency,
so in a real emergency we would not think of it.

  I think all of us think about some ot the things that might happen, but how
many
take the time to practice what we would do in those emergencies.

Rick Stockton
  A210 XS tri