Re: Europa-List: Europa Incident - 180 turns

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Incident - 180 turns
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:22:19
Carl,

Yes, below some magic height the 180 turn back will be a killer in
any aircraft, but different for every aircraft. Above that height it
might be a lifesaver. So, what is the height for various permutations
of airspeed, flap, weight, prop status etc?

I can only say that I was always able to do a safe 180 at 75kts,
flaps up (trigear, 100HP) in about 250 feet when I practised.

When it all goes quiet, we don't have long to think about it so a
personal rule of thumb about when and when not to attempt a turn back
is worth deriving in advance from the comfort of our armchairs.

What other views/data has anyone got?

Willie