RE: Europa-List: builder test flying his own creation?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: builder test flying his own creation?
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 08:04:41

Niels,

Thanks for this posting.  I laughed until I nearly cried when I read your
experiences about learning to fly a tail dragger.

At 700 hours of Trigear, and admittedly 50 hours of sail plane time I
thought I'd better get a tail wheel rating.

I went to our local field where they had a Citaborea and signed up with a
guy who was an ex navy carrier pilot.  Honest to god, every time I landed
the aircraft I just thought it was going to explode on the runway.  No
sooner had it touched down it immediately decided to head for the weeds, no
matter what I commanded it to do.  What used to surprise  me even more on
how deftly my instructor could reach over and retrieve what seemed to me a
certain crash.  I am pretty sure that the guys in the tower were selling
tickets for the free show.

After 6 hours and much head shaking by my instructor I began to wonder what
was I going to do with my near completed Europa sitting at home, it seemed
to me that I was going to destroy it.

Then suddenly one day I could do it, every time, under the most difficult of
conditions.

So I found your story quite amusing.  My instructor never put his hand on my
shoulder and said "Paul I don't think you should spend more money
on this." but I know he was thinking it.

Thanks for sharing the story.

Paul