Re: Europa-List: Flap attachment procedure

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flap attachment procedure
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:12:21

Hi Andrew,

I found that using the template (I made mine out of clear cedar and
used hot glue to bond it to the wing) with the half inch "notch" to
catch the trailing edge of the flap really made it simple to keep the
flap in proper location and orientation w/ respect to the wing. Keeping
the relationship between flap and wing constant seemed important, and
the template does just that.

I used 3 sets of doubled up tongue depressors to set the proper
vertical gap between flap and wing by taping them to the underside of
the wing and allowing them to hang down sideways along the wing
trailing edge close out; one set at each of the flap hinges.

You're right in anticipating that the "blobs of bondo" may break loose
when flipping the wing over; at least that's what happened to me w/ my
hot glue blobs; however, I didn't find this to be a problem.

As to any rubbing between the flap and wing close out, the tongue
depressors take care of the vertical portion of the close out, and the
gap between the curved, trailing edge of the close out and the flap
will be dealt with at the time the upper wing skin is attached...again
using a string of tongue depressors to establish an even and adequate
gap.

Assuming you have yet to drill for the bolts between the W18s and Ws
19, 20, and 21, I used "C" clamps to secure them together while I
ensured that the flap movement was smooth and just the way I wanted...I
spent quite some time as I recall bringing everything into proper
alignment before drilling (w/ a pesky borrowed compact angled airdrill).

The template will also be essential when the time comes to set the
angle of max. flap deflection.

Hope this helps,

Fred