RE: Europa-List: Re: Help Required from our American Friends

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Help Required from our American Friends
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:21:07

Alan

I just got off the phone with "Joe" from the EAA in Oshkosh.  It sounds like
bringing
experimental aircraft from the UK has been done plenty of times before.
In general terms the process is.

1.  The aircraft is first de registered in the UK.  I am not sure if you are
asked
to provide proof of this or not.

2.  You then apply for registration with the FAA.   It must be registered with
a legal entity that the FAA can use, for example a US citizen, permanent
resident,
or a holding company.

3.  You then need to apply for an airworthiness inspection.  This doesn't have
to be done by the FAA, a designated inspector is okay.  He will be looking for
a condition inspection, and proof that it meets the US rules for amateur build
aircraft, such as the 51% rule.  A builders log would help a lot.

You might have trouble getting a repairmens certificate issued, I know Thomas
did,
however if your the builder and you can prove it with builders log then I
would just ask for one, chances are there won't be a problem.

Hope this helps,  Paul