Re: Europa-List: Anyone install battery aft of baggage bay bulkhead?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Anyone install battery aft of baggage bay bulkhead?
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 03:50:29

Thanks to all for your replies.

Paul

"My hypothesis is that net weight gain would be less because you would
eliminate a long run of heavy cable."

I did the math and moving the battery aft nets to a more aft CG if the
battery is under the baggage bay cover using a Odyssey 545. Any battery
heavier, or if you move it more aft works even better. I compared with
battery mounted on the starboard foot-well, and the extra weight of the
cables mounted on the sternpost.

In addition I am not using a electro/magnetic battery contactor, but a
Flaming River Combo Battery and Alternator Kill switch:
http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/Category_ID=133/home_id=76/mode=cat/cat133.htm

It is on the back of Starboard headrest easily accessible by pilot. Turn
knob 1/4 turn to turn on, hit in center pops it off. Nice piece of
hardware.

Ron Parigoris