Re: Europa-List: prop bolts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: prop bolts
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 11:00:01

>I have attached (I hope it comes through!) a rough sketch
>illustrating the principle.

Svein - your diagram is excellent and clearly shows what you mean to
do - but I'm having trouble understanding how this ensures correct
torque at the prop bolt.

Initially, I thought it was fine, but when I try to analyse what is
happening in terms of the forces that are being applied at various
points, I don't seem to be able to extract a sensible answer.

I also imagined a different geometry - such as the torque wrench in
line with the ring spanner - and it seems that wouldn't work unless
the torque setting was adjusted to allow for the relative lengths of
the torque wrench and spanner.

Can you (or anyone else) offer an explanation of why the 90-degree
geometry works?

regards

Rowland