Re: Europa-List: prop bolts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: prop bolts
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 18:58:01
Paul,

1. Set the torque limit on the torque wrench in the normal way.
1. Use a fixed spanner on the prop bolt.
2. Use a transition piece for the torque wrench that goes into the other end
of the spanner.
3. Orientate the torque wrench so that its handle is 90 degrees (right
angle) to the spanner.
4. Apply force on the torque wrench handle at 90 degrees to the handle, i.e.
straight out, i.e. parallel to the fixed spanner.
5. The torque thus created at the "other end of the spanner" transfers along
the length of the spanner and onto the prop bolt.

As you apply the force/torque, the prop. bolt will turn and you then simply
follow with it, i.e. maintain your hand force parallel with the spanner.

Re. 2 above:  Alternatively, use the "open" end of the spanner on the prop
bolt and put a suitably sized bolt (one that the torque wrench will fit
onto) through the "star" end of the spanner, with a nut tightened hard on
the other side.

I have attached (I hope it comes through!) a rough sketch illustrating the
principle.

Good luck!

Svein
A225 - now in Norway