Re: Re: Europa-List: Rotax crankcase cracks

Subject: Re: Re: Europa-List: Rotax crankcase cracks
From: Chris Beck <n9zes@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 07:34:41

====================

Thanks to all who replied to my question. Interesting and reassuring.
I really should have started a new thread with this subject. Sorry.
Graham

---> I've been thinking about this issue a bit.  If you really sit and think
about
it, the Rotax engines, aside from a few minor common issues (rubber parts,
regulator, etc.) are really remarkably robust and reliable.  The 912S starting
problem has largely been resolved.

On the flip side, recall back through history all the major problems both
Lycoming
and Continental have had with various engines through the years?  Lyc. O-320H2AD
anyone?  Continental O-200 (or any small Continental) that have a hard
time going 500 hrs. between top overhauls?  Lycoming camshaft spalling problems
across the product line?  Big bore Continentals with head cracking issues?

How many Europas (or other Rotax powered A/C) have had to make off-field
landings
due to engine failure?  The consensus I've heard is that if you can get the
Rotax running, it will get you to your destination almost no matter what.

Chris
A159