Re: Europa-List: Rotax crankcase cracks

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax crankcase cracks
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:17:34

Rotax engines may not be perfect but there isnt anything better IMHO.  Mine
still runs faultlessly after over 600hrs and I have had no problems that
could be laid at the manufacturers door. If you had been involved with
Europas from the beginning you would realise that others have tried "better"
engines in their aircraft to their cost. All things considered Rotax 912s
and 914's are very reliable powerplants.

There is nothing wrong with Rotax's attitude towards the engine crack
warning. The likely hood is that only one or two engines have developed this
problem and as Rotax suggests this may be down to how the engine was
installed/ operated.  If it was a car manufacturer they would probably not
say anything and simply fix the problem if it materialised (and probably
charge you for the priveledge).

Rotax are simply doing what any sensible aviation engine manufacturer would
do and draw your attention to a potential problem that if it occurrs is
probably your fault - because of the way you may have installed or operated
the engine. Rotax have no control over how their engines are used - they can
only make reccommendations on how to fit them which may or may not be
adhered to by the aircraft manufacturer (which in your case is you).

If yours was a certified aircraft and a problem developed you would seek
redress/ compensation from the aircraft manufacturer - because they fitted
the engine to their aircraft - exactly in the same way as you would if your
BMW developed a fault the only difference being that BMW makes their own
engines.

The reason the factory sticks with the 912s and 914s is because they are
generally reliable unlike the other engines they have tried eg: Subaru, Mid
West Rotary, Wilksch Diesel, BMW boxer, etc. The only other engine that is
halfway decent in the Europa is the Jabiru and that hasnt been without its
problems.

In my opinion if you fitted any other engine the list of Rotax snags you
quote would be minimal by comparison to what you would probably experience
with another manufacturer.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS