Europa-List: Source for rattle can paint

Subject: Europa-List: Source for rattle can paint
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 05:32:32

Anyone know of a good primer and top coat in rattle can for smaller
internal stuff? Where can I purchase?

I have been fooling with rattle can primers for aluminium and steel, and
am not too impressed thus far.

Have tried Spruce self etch primer, very hard to get on thin, tried 280
grit sand, and 100 grit sand / then clean and does not stick all that
well.

Tempo Zinc Chromate (out drive) does not stick all that well, and even
with trying to put on thin, stays mushy and does not stick all that well.

As far as top coat, I fooled with trying Spruce Epoxy propeller paint over
their self etch primer after waiting am hour to dry and sanding with 400
grit as per instructions, and also tried without primer, not stuck very
good, and not too robust after a week of drying.

Also tried Spruce Enamel over both above primers, and stand alone, works
not too well especial on aluminium.

Sandblasting with 120 grit aluminium oxide, then Dupont Variprime, then
thin PPG adhesion coat (I forget the exact, perhaps DTMF?) then single
stage PPG polyurethane works well, but is a involved task. For internal
small stuff sure would be nice to use a rattle can.

Thx.
Ron Parigoris