Re: Re: Europa-List: Wing drop in the stall

Subject: Re: Re: Europa-List: Wing drop in the stall
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:21:56

The Europa is no more or less unstable than other aircraft but it is a
kitplane so there will be variations between different aircraft.

The problem of  the wing dropping in the stall was identified early on by
Europa and the PFA and is easily resolved by the fitting of stall strips. In
the UK stall strips or a stall warner are a mandatory fitment to all Europa
aircraft. I am pretty certain that if you look in your builders/ pilots
manual you will find a passage relating to testing and setting this up.

 The stall strips are fitted in such a way that both wings stall at the same
time which eliminates the tendency to drop a wing.

 Stall strips are a common fitment to kitplanes and GA aircraft alike. Next
time you walk past a line of aircraft, take a look.

 To suggest that this is a Europa specific problem is nonsense.

BTW the most likely cause of a wing drop in the first place is a
misalignment of the flaps which I would imagine is rather difficult to
correct. Far easier to fit the strips or a stall warner.