Re: Re: Europa-List: Wing drop in the stall

Subject: Re: Re: Europa-List: Wing drop in the stall
From: Chris Beck <n9zes@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:21:39

====================

All the recent correspondence following the tragedy at Oshkosh seems to point to
a basic instability with the Europa. Is this inherent in the design or due to
building errors?Trimming ailerons to achieve smooth integration with the wing
profile is dodgy and may point to a basic error in construction with one wing
having a different lift characteristic to the other. The descriptions of other
incidents such as a very sudden wing drop and incipient spin arenot asociated
with any other GA or home build as far as I know.

--->  I don't know about others, but I've flown several C-152's with some pretty
nasty wing drops at stall.  One in particular would almost always drop a wing
down at least 60 degrees and need full rudder to pick it up.  Aside from that,
it was the best flying out of the 4 at the FBO I trained at.  If not paying
attention and really being on top of the plane, an inadvertent stall would put
you on your back, fast.

In contrast, our C-140 wouldn't drop a wing unless deliberately crossed up.
I've
not spun it yet, but I have a hard enough time just getting a stall out of
it, with the fuselage banging like an old beer can the whole time from the
buffeting.
Big pussy cat.

Chris