RE: Europa-List: ...and another thing

Subject: RE: Europa-List: ...and another thing
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:30:14

I agree that on the ground the monowheel looks a bit strange. However
when it is in the air with the gear retracted I think it looks the part
more than the trigear.

With regards to a conventional tailtragger version it would be a more
viable proposition if the airframe was designed for it in the first
place. The positioning of the hard points for mounting the main gear in
this configuration calls for some inventive engineering. The engineer in
the UK who has done about 6 of these conversions reckons to allow about
2 months to do the work and he is familiar with the job. I believe, like
the trigear, it adds more weight to the airframe and only slightly eases
the handling skills required. One conventionally geared Europa a few
years ago sheared an undercarriage leg after a groundloop. Whilst this
was totally the fault of the pilot it shows that it is not the answer if
you wish to make the handling easier.

Nigel Charles