RE: Europa-List: Wing Cradles

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Wing Cradles
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 14:36:26

Hi! Jim
I used a loop of conveyor belting lined with carpeting making sure the
countersunk bolts and nuts are completely out of the way of the wing
surfaces. If you go to the Matronics photo share pages and look for Self
Rigging Photos posted under my name on Aug 13 DSC 00138jpg "End View of
Wing in Clamp" you can see my two carpeted cradles, they are on pivots
to allow the wings to be lifted over them so they pivot back up to act
as cradles. One (Starboard side) is laid down and one (Port side) is in
travel mode (up) in the photo.  Both without the wings in place.
I have in the region of 600 hours and I would estimate about the same
number of rig and dismantles to my name without damage or trailer
rash.(other than by my own carelessness!)The aircraft had travelled
hundreds of miles in this trailer, without the wings vertically
restrained, (such vertical restraint on the trailing edge can result in
damage from the "tie downs") mine are just pinned through the spars.
However the trailer is a double axle with the axles load linked for
smooth travel and the whole rig being so heavy has no chance of bouncing
!
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300