Europa-List: ...and another thing

Subject: Europa-List: ...and another thing
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 10:10:02

Again, off topic.
The following text demands reply:

> >mikenjulie.parkin@btopenworld.com>
>        "This is a guy who's flown hundreds of different aircraft, flown
> for
>the military, has 20,000 hours plus, and is a certified test pilot."
>        An instructor of mine once told me that to get a true feeling for
> the
>experience of a pilot,  divide his total flying hours by the number of
>pilot
>seats multiplied by the number of engines the aircraft has.
>        For example, an airline pilot who has flown 20,000 hours in a big 4
> jet
>would be 20000/(2*4) equals 2500.  The rationale behind this is that if you
>fly long haul, in 2 by 13 hour sectors you might get one landing and one
>take-off.  How many take-off and landings would you get in your Europa in
>26
>hours of flying.

            If one notes the above, what connection is there between
"hundreds of aircraft,....the military, ....test pilot" - and sitting in an
airliner?
            First of all of if one plans to learn anything in the next 2500
hours, perhaps the target pilot already has this experience? 26 hours in
Europas might mean 50 landings - one month's flying in some airlines. One
assumes the writer has the public's opinion of airline drivers - we all know
stewardesses fly, passengers fly, but pilots just sit there.
            The difference is, previous airline pilots have often come from
more experience than a Europa will produce in its total existence - and
that's just one aircraft...........
            It's easy to take a swipe. The silent majority are not swiping -
or as the jokesters say, "laisser faire and let laisser faire".

Ferg Kyle
Europa A064 914 Classic