RE: Europa-List: ...and another thing

Subject: RE: Europa-List: ...and another thing
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 00:38:04

I also know of a situation where the trigear was at a disadvantage. A
visiting trigear once landed at a grass strip where the surface was
soft. Although the resident monowheel was operating in and out of the
strip with two on board, the trigear was unable to get airborne with its
passenger. In the end the trigear was flown out solo and picked up the
passenger at another airfield.

The Europa trigear is a fine aircraft but it is not unique. There are
several other kit aircraft which come close to its performance and
economy. The monowheel however is still very different from any other
light aircraft after 13 years since the prototype first flew. It is
certainly a more demanding aircraft to fly but since pilot training has
been set up and handling information passed on there have been far fewer
incidents/accidents.

If ease of piloting is paramount then the trigear is a must but if you
want a slightly lighter, faster and more economical aircraft that can
handle a more varied selection of airstrips the monowheel is a unique
alternative. It is just a matter of deciding whether your skills can be
tuned to what is required.

As fuel costs on the eastern side of the Atlantic are still over twice
that in the USA it is no wonder that the Europa (the monowheel in
particular) is more popular in Europe with its excellent fuel
efficiency. However the recent large price increases in crude oil is
bound to refocus potential buyers towards more efficient aircraft and
this should be good for the Europa.

Nigel Charles