Europa-List: Tri-gear vs. mono

Subject: Europa-List: Tri-gear vs. mono
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:54:04

Cheers,
            We're off topic here, except that the following tends to divide
Europhiles when there is no need.  Jim Thursby wrote an excellent rebuttal
which elicitted little response. Nevertheless, I sense that silence promoted
a false sense of condemnation of Ivan's precept and deserves further
comment.
            There is no question that trigears are easier to land.
Thirty-odd thousand hours convinces me that putting two (and often three)
wheels on the ground is easier than flying after landing - what is needed on
one wheel. The number of accidents occuring after landing a 3-wheeler shows
that there is a sigh of relief after touchdown that belies the risks still
in effect during the runout. That's a clue.
            Whereas the taildragger of any persuasion still requires
concentration and due diligence until a speed is reached where nothing is
flying, wing, tail or anything. This to me indicates the complete flyer -
one who is in control from 'chocks out' to 'brakes on' - and sometimes after
that.
            I can see the ab initio pilot hesitating to produce a
taildragger with one main gear, and appreciate if he chooses three wheels
particularly if he has a nice long paved flat surface on which to land.
             However, for the responsible aviator, there is a price to be
paid. Appearing to advance to unprepared ground, or putting forth vitriol
against other more complete flyers, or claiming false qualities for dangling
doughnuts isn't possible.  Just as some people carry hot coffee or smooge on
the 'cell-phone' while enroute on the streets are steerers not drivers,
those who rely on three wheels to help them through life are not qualified
to disparage those who don't.
            Complete bafflement is not a quality - it is a condition.
Ferg
A064 mono 914