Re: Europa-List: Fuel sender etc.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel sender etc.
From: Peter Rees <peter.rees05@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 21:44:04

If you follow the Europa way of cutting the hole using a soldering iron, it
takes a long time to clean up the holes but doesn't generate any swarf.
(though totals your soldering iron bit!) You really need a right angle / 45
degree one - a straight one will be really hard going).

We contemplated long and hard to try and find easier ways to do the job but
the most tricky bit by a long way is putting the split ring in while working
inside the headrest and there is no easy way of doing that. The sender has
to go here due to the shape of the tank so no easy way around this.

One tip is to use a dremmel or other small cutter to cut the hole in the ply
seatback to get access to the tank. Andy (or the instructions) recommended
using a starret type cutter on a lever arm and trying to cut the hole this
way but there seemed to be no way to get enough pressure to get the thing to
bite. Drill a pilot hole to gauge how far in the dremmel can go before it
touches the tank (if you drill this in the middle of the ply hole you're
going to cut out, if you hit the tank, it doesn't matter as you're going to
cut this bit of the tank out).

If you're not dexterous and happy with spending several hours kneeling on
the stbd seatback, I'd probably try someone who has done the job and see if
they could 'give you a hand' (do the job while you make them lots of tea).
It really, really wasn't a fun job (though it really does work very well
indeed!).