Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:03:27

My current wheel fairings are dimensioned exactly as you have described,
plus a 3:1 L:D ratio.
The result is good , but I think alot of the result comes from having a
vertical split, which allows both a much closer fit around the wheel and no
protuberances forward of the 50% chord position (which is where the vertical
split is positioned and is slightly aft of maximum thickness point at 40%).

By way of comparison, my Mk I set of wheel fairings were very similar,
except with a 2.5:1 L:D. The speed increase was identical (as best I could
measure), the 'poorer' L:D being offset by the lower surface area. All in
accordance with the theory for bodies-of-revolution as described by NACA
following experiments on buoyant 'dolphins'.

But a lot of work making moulds etc just to get to that point!

Duncan McF